Saturday 25 February 2012

What is a Zine?




Besides assuming a zine was simply a magazine I had no real interest or understanding in them until I did a little research!

Let me share with you my new obsession with zines :)

Having originated in the 18th century, the word zine is a shortened version of the word magazine. Meaning it is basically a mini magazine comprised of self-published work including original or appropriated texts and images. Zines range from computer printed texts and images to hand drawn wonders, and have covered virtually every era, fad, trend and subject since first originating.
They are sold and traded at many different outlets so if you're looking for a new career to showcase your creativity you could be producing your own zines for a living! Amazing!

Here's a few popular zines that take my fancy!

Dazed & Confused

 

Perths very own x-press fashion magazine

The rocky horror picture zine

No comments:

Post a Comment